Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Below text is directly taken from sourceforge website for qtstalker
I think its potential is unknown to many. I am using it with limited success for my trading activities. I will share some of my indicators and screeners which i designed using it.
I am hoping to make a community for it .so the people out there who are using it can share there techniques to make a strong user community.
Qtstalker is a user friendly Technical Analysis package for GNU/Linux (and hence other Unix-like systems). Similar to commercial wares such as Metastock, Supercharts and Tradestation. Keeps to a lean, simple design for speed, portability, and low resource usage. Because it uses a plugin model, Qtstalker can easily be extended.
Qtstalker is 100% free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL. An active development community is continually adding new features. We appreciate your input towards creating a world-class GNU/Linux TA package.
- A point-and-click object-oriented graphical user interface.
- Chart types include line, bar and candlestick.
- Customizable colors. Logarithmic and linear arithmetic scaling. Scale to screen.
- Indicators plugins include MACD, MAs, Bollinger Bands, RSI, and dozens more. Provides access to the TA-Lib library of common functions.
- A simple scripting facility to create custom indicators. This powerfully enables combination of different plots in one indicator and combining of other indicators and calculations.
- A special indicator "ExScript" enables external scripts to pass indicator data in.
- An "Indicator Summary" tool shows a table of all indicator parameters from all active indicators. It also writes the data to XML output for use by external programs.
- Chart drawing objects: trendlines, buy/sell arrows, horizontal and vertical lines, fibonacci retracement lines, text and cycles.
- Quote plugins download data from online sources such as Yahoo, CME, NYBOT.
- Data import plugins for plain-text CSV files.
- The "Plugin" architecture for quotes and indicators enables easy future extensibility.
- Minute, daily, weekly and monthly chart compression options.
- Various data classes to support for investment types such as stocks, futures, indices, ratios and spreads.
- A back testing function allowing indicator performance tests using actual trading data.
- A very basic portfolio manager. Good for tracking open positions. (Suggestions welcome.)
- A Scanner that can scan the qtstalker database for charts that meet a user defined criteria.
- A paper trading mode enabling users to practice trading without risking capital.
MY Qtstalker screen:
I am fascinated with its library of TA indicator ( more than 150, supplied by TALIB ) which can be used with combination in custom indicators.
It has well written documentation and intuitive help for every thing.
It has plugins for Yahoo data import and csv format (can be customized)
My system is Dual-boot( windows7 & Ubuntu 11.04). For downloading the EOD data (nse stocks) and intraday data I use Datadownloder (volumedigger.com) .
For US stocks I have to just update it in qtstalker window itself. ( demerit : for Indian stock data data is 2 day old , means you will get Monday data on Wednesday and for Index you won't get volume data). I download NSE data from Datadownloader which take data from NSE website itself so data is in very good faith.
I am still looking like datadownloder software on ubuntu so that I dont have to do switching between linux and window.